Thursday 10 June 2021

Buttons and Birds.

The character of Eleanor in Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House mentions at one point that she collects buttons. I don’t, but I do have a favourite one. It’s the one that says ‘Skip Ads’ on YouTube videos. Pressing it is one of life’s great pleasures. The one I most dislike is the one which says ‘Video will play after ads.’ If ever a humble button should be consigned to perdition’s flame, that’s the one.

*  *  *

This year has been notable for producing a surprising number of firsts. I’ve mentioned a few on this blog, and this week there was another one: I saw my first ever pheasant chicks. There were two of them on my lawn, and when I walked towards them they toddled away as fast as their legs would carry them (which wasn’t very fast at all because their legs were only about half an inch long.) Meanwhile, the mother bird was hiding behind a plant and eyeing me with evident suspicion.

*  *  *

And if ever you want a good introduction to shuffle dance, try the SN Studio uploads. They’re probably the best. Whether that belongs in the ‘buttons’ or ‘birds’ category depends on which way you look at it. (Come to think of it, I don’t see any connection whatsoever between buttons and shuffle dance videos, but I’d had a couple of drinks when I jotted this post late last night. I do have a fortuitous tendency to say incomprehensible things when I’ve had a couple of drinks late at night. It’s about my only entertaining trait. And today’s reaction post to the DVD I watched last night – Stephen Hawking and the Theory of Everything – didn’t get written because the blues are back courtesy of somebody doing something incomprehensible in the cold light of day. My own theory of everything is, you see: [a] I only want to have anything to do with people if their energies accord with mine in a positive way. [b] If they don’t fit into that rarest of categories, I need them to stay quiet, stay out of my way, and respect my private space totally. Today somebody failed miserably on both counts.)

Meanwhile, here’s an SN Studio shuffle dance video, just in case anybody is interested.
 

No comments: