Saturday 12 June 2021

Science and the Layman.

I said I was going to make a post about the DVD of Stephen Hawking and the Theory of Everything, didn’t I? I did. Only the full post would be complicated, it’s now late at night, and I’m tired. But just a couple of things off the top of my head:

1) What was a single black hole the size of an atom doing hanging around in an infinite expanse of nothing? We know where it went (or so they say) but where did it come from?

2) Why did nobody mention that it bears a striking resemblance to many creation myths? Is it beyond the remit of science even to consider the question of coincidences?

3) The subsequent development of life can be explained in chemical and physical terms, but what is consciousness? Could consciousness as we know it have some relationship to whatever caused the black hole to be hanging around in an infinite expanse of nothing?

4) Why was Stephen Hawking of the opinion that there is no point to life but to engage in tracing its origins?

5) If the scientists now know that there are more than three dimensions – one estimate puts it at eleven – why does science continue to foster the view that no form of reality exists other than the material one to which we are habituated?

6) Why did nobody mention the correlation between string theory and certain writings in ancient Indian texts?

7) Why do Americans make tea in a microwave?

And so on, and so forth. I had more questions, but now I’m tired. Yes, I already said that. OK. Bye for now.

No comments: