Saturday 29 May 2021

Perception and Priority.

There’s an ad on my Hotmail home page for the University of London. The blurb reads: 
 
MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Understand how to manage supply chains
 in a fast-paced, technology fuelled world.
 
Well now, all my life I’ve so wanted to understand how to manage supply chains in a fast-paced, technology fuelled world, so where was this ad when I was but a callow youth desperate to put my brain (which is the size of a planet, don’t forget) to some useful, life-enhancing purpose? Try to imagine, if you will, how gutted I must now feel. Meanwhile…

I did my very best to save the life of a tree today. Whether my actions will bear fruit remains to be seen over the next few months, but I’m hopeful.

I took a fall in the process of performing this duty of care – nothing serious at the time, but I now seem to have a sprained wrist. There are also signs that I might have exacerbated one of my neat little collection of health issues. So I considered the question of balance and value vis-à-vis the situation.

I came to the conclusion that all is for the best in the best of all possible perceptions. Trees are, after all, quieter than humans, nobler than humans, more long lived than humans, and best of all, they enhance the planet rather than running around chasing money and the superficiality of lifestyle obsession while wrecking the planet in the process. I doubt that trees need to learn how to manage supply chains. To them it’s simply a matter of ‘have sap, will manage.’

No comments: