Saturday 12 December 2020

Undertakings.

The tunnel I’ve been stumbling through for the past couple of weeks must be getting a bit lighter because I finished my new short story tonight. It probably needs one more edit and then it can go up at the other place.

And I’m currently engaged in what might be termed a ‘discussion’ with somebody on YouTube over the matter of the vilification of King Henry VIII. I’m determined that it should not descend into acrimony because that would not accord with my new-found desire to be a better person. His stupidity irritates me, certainly, but it shouldn’t. I have no right to be irritated by another person’s stupidity because it’s his to own and none of my business as long as a third party isn’t involved. (That’s one way in which Gregory House and I differ. Did I say I was watching some old House episodes again? I am.)

I did think of pulling out of the discussion because a stupid person isn’t going to stop being stupid just because I make a rational point. But then I decided that if I can encourage even one YouTube comment reader to be more judicious in considering whether it is reasonable and just to judge a historical figure on the basis of current sensibilities, there was a reason to continue. And so I did.

(And now I feel indefensibly arrogant for saying such a thing. You can’t win in the matter of being a better person, can you? I think I’ll say ‘hang the cholesterol’ and have a piece of cheese. Cheese is the one thing I really miss in my undertaking to imbibe less cholesterol.)

No comments: