Tuesday 22 December 2020

Stages of Development.

I asked myself a question yesterday (I have no idea why, but I did.) It ran something like this:

‘If you were asked to list your favourite romantic ballads, which would they be?’

No problem. Three stand out, and three YouTube clips are appended in the order in which they took root in my consciousness.



So the next query was:

‘What do these three songs say about you vis-à-vis the position of the fairer sex in the progress of your life to date?’

Well, the first of them stems, I’m quite sure, from a time early in my infancy when I saw the film Kismet (from which this song is taken). This is interesting because it suggests that my predilection for the Romantic (rather than the lower case romantic) was established long before I was capable of rationalising the combination of lovelorn lyrics and Borodin’s ravishing melody. In fact, it was even before I could write, much less be able to spell ‘enchanting.’

The second came a bit later. I was still very young, and yet the tenor and verbal nuances were already obvious to me. But then, I do remember the school nurse saying to my mother on one occasion: ‘It’s surprising how early some boys develop.’ (I didn’t quite know what she meant at the time, but I took it as a compliment anyway.)

The third came along in mid life when I had undertaken not to engage in further romantic dalliances because people were getting hurt. It brings to mind two particularly lovely pieces of passion fruit which I felt had to be left on the tree for others to enjoy. Dear old karma finally caught up with me and it was my turn to suffer. Such is life, and it’s all over now, Baby Blue (as I do so like quoting when I feel inclined to use somebody else’s words for a change.)

No comments: