Tuesday 3 November 2020

Trump and the State of America.

I was just reading a BBC News feature on the findings of opinion polls ahead of the Presidential election. It appears that, at a national level, Biden is leading Trump by something like 53:47. That troubles me.

Let’s be straight and simple here. Donald Trump is an ego-ridden, not overly intelligent, bigoted braggart and bully. His rallying call ‘Make America Great Again’ has got to be the political joke of the century because I sense that America’s reputation in the world has plummeted during his presidency. To put it simply, America has become something of a laughing stock and very many of us no longer respect it.

So the question is: why does nearly half the population of America not see this and still intends to vote for him? If it were a mere 5-10%, you could put it down to the little rednecks at the bottom of the heap who haven’t a clue what the capital of France is or how many cents make a dollar. But it isn’t 5-10%; it’s nearly half. So what does that say about Americans and American culture? You tell me.

To be honest, I’ve more or less lost interest in Donald Trump. I now find him so boring as to be supremely ignorable. But today has rekindled my interest because today America is going to show us something of significance about itself. That's why I've become a keen spectator again.

No comments: