Friday 6 November 2020

Last Word on America.

With the American presidential election still undecided (but with the map thankfully turning bluer, I know) and with many people forecasting major social unrest once a result is declared, I have to say this before I close the book:

As an outside observer who thinks of America more as a social phenomenon than a nation – partly because that’s how I tend to see most things – it seems that America has enormous potential to be great (as some people already think it is but it clearly isn’t yet.) In order to achieve that greatness, I feel that it needs a leader who is young, erudite, calm, strong, tough, fair minded, humanitarian, charismatic, and possessed of boundless energy to take America by the scruff of the neck, kick its ass with a hobnail boot, and reinvent it. My feeling is that its value systems and social mores are completely skewed and will remain that way until it gets an almighty shock.

Maybe the shock will come another way, but I think I’ll leave it at that. No offence intended. Over and out.

No comments: