Wednesday 4 November 2020

Same But Different.

I was spoken to and smiled at by two lovely young ladies today. One was around 3 or 4 and adorably cute. She was out for a bike ride with her dad. The other was a little more mature at around 18 and was taking her dog for a walk.

It struck me as interesting that two encounters which were essentially the same could produce such different pleasure responses in totally different parts of the brain. It isn’t hard to work out, of course. Cute kids bring out the best in me, attractive young women the worst.

(Actually, that’s not true. What really brings out the worst in me is people invading my personal or private space without an invitation. The fact that normal people habitually do so is one of the reasons why I’ve always thought it advisable never to own a shotgun.)

No comments: