Sunday 27 January 2013

Venting.

Do you want to hear about my latest little problem? No? Stop reading now, then.

I have an old wooden garage that is gradually rotting away. I’ve made several running repairs on it over the years, adding spars here and buttresses there, because I feared that a gale would bring it down one day. So why did I continue parking in there? There were reasons to do with a lack of off-road parking that is causing enough difficulty between my neighbour and me as it is, so I continued to strengthen it and continued parking there.

However… The strengthening I added was all geared to preventing sideways movement of the walls in strong wind. What I didn’t realise was how heavy snow could be. We had heavy snow throughout Friday night, and yesterday the weight of it brought the garage roof down. My car is now pinned by a fallen roof that is far too heavy to lift manually. It’s going to need mechanical lifting or jacking gear. And I’ve no idea how much damage it’s done.

The nearest town is seven miles away and there’s no bus service here any more. Such a service isn’t commercially viable and the local authority has stopped subsidising the minimal service we used to have. Taxis are expensive; to use one would double the cost of my week’s shopping. So now I wait for the landlord’s agent to send an expert, which I’m onto.

This week had already brought some nasty interpersonal problems and several losses. It hasn’t been a good week. OK? Shutting up now.

No comments: