Wednesday 21 December 2011

Solstice and Separateness

I’m planning to have my usual solstice fire on Thursday (the winter solstice is on the 22nd this year.) It’s a tradition that Helen and I used to keep, and she usually comes over to share it with me. She’s working this year, though, so I’ll be on my own. This being-on-my-own thing seems to be going from strength to strength.

I don't need to be alone, of course. My solstice fire is open to all-comers. The same cannot, however, be said of the Beltane fire.Too much at stake.

I wonder whether the solstice is the point at which the trees and shrubs wake up and start preparing for spring.

If I had a field with a single tree in it, I would have to plant a second one to keep it company. But are trees susceptible to the illusion of separateness? There are those who say they're not, but how would they know?

No comments: