Saturday, 19 September 2026

A Recommendation.

I just finished reading Virginia Woolf’s short story A Society, and would recommend it to all women of an enquiring bent and all men of a disinterested one.

It tells of a group of idle-but-enterprising middle class women who meet in a tea shop and spend a few years before WW1 dedicating themselves to the nature of the gender divide. It’s full of irony, highly amusing in parts, and very clever in the whole. It makes you think of how society has changed in little over a century, and the narrative pays little heed to the dreaded stream of consciousness style for which Virginia is celebrated (and rightly so if you have the mental energy and staying power.)

As a male raised1 to embrace the masculine mindset but who generally gets on better with women, I found it most enjoyable.

1 Word insists that this word should be ‘rose.’ Why would I call myself a male rose?

No comments: