Saturday 15 July 2023

On Low Mood and Brexit's Revenge.

I was going to write a post about why I, a nature lover, lean towards disagreeing with the current trend for re-wilding, at least insofar as it relates to Europe. But I’m not in the mood for being serious, and when I’m not in the mood I write badly, as evidenced by recent posts.

The problem is that nothing amusing, surreal, exciting, or mysterious has happened lately, so where do I go to satisfy the monomania?

The weather, I suppose. It’s what the British famously do: when we’ve got nothing else to say we talk about the weather, so…

The weather today was a creature of manic mood swings, from warm, dry, sunny, and calm, to thunder, lightning, strong winds, and torrential rain. And they were getting all mixed up as though confusion reigned in heaven and earth. (And down here on earth I even saw a neighbour washing his car while thunder boomed, lightning flashed, and rain poured down in biblical quantities. I thought it a little odd, but then I realised it was his wife’s car, so maybe she had threatened dire consequences if the vehicle wasn’t shining by 1 o’clock.)

It’s also a fact that the temperature has been unusually low by the standards normally expected of July, at least in the middle of England where I live it has. And yet, ironically, it appears that our storms and rain are consequent upon the frightful heatwave they’re suffering in central and southern Europe. I expect it’s yet another side effect of Brexit (which I voted against, you might remember.) As for the twilight, well… Today’s twilight did full justice to Tennyson’s famous words relating to the last days of Camelot (which I quote in full instead of the shortened version I usually quote):

The wan day went glooming down in wet and weariness

I suspect Alfred Lord Tennyson was as much affected by climatic conditions as I am, but we don’t appear to have much else in common. I live in a small house which leaks; he lived in several big ones which probably didn’t.

No comments: