Monday 24 July 2023

Balancing the Benefit.

I went for my dental appointment with the incomparable Ms Medeea Popei today and realised that visits to her presence amount to my 6-monthly ‘Medeea fix.’ (You know me and my need for dog fixes. This is a new one.) I get called in by the nurse who asks ‘how are you today?’ and I reply grumpily ‘no comment.’ But when I walk into Ms M’s den the calm, caring energies are almost palpable. I willingly submit my supine form to her questions, conversation, advice, and physical attention with the scrapy thing, and come out feeling a whole lot lighter. Whoever would have thought it?

And now I’m the beneficiary of two new groups of best buddies. They consist of two small herds of bullocks resident in two of the fields up the lane. Whenever I walk past they rush to the gate and look at me imploringly until I go and talk to them and scratch a few ears. Cows like having their ears scratched. They throw their heads around in joyful abandon – the force of which makes you realise just how much damage they could do to you if they took it into their heads to be aggressive. But they’re not aggressive with me, and I take great pleasure in the feeling that maybe I’m making the daily lot of a few young cows just that little bit more tolerable.

So is it all a sort of balancing act? I like to think so.

No comments: