Sunday 30 August 2020

Another Late Muse.

August began with the ancient Celtic festival of Lughnasa, the nominal start of autumn. As I understand it, it’s all about the harvest.

I read recently that the harvest is all but ruined in Britain this year, courtesy of a record wet winter, an unusually dry, warm spring, and a changeable summer with lots of rain. The wheat crop has been unable to cope, millers have little to work with, the price of bread is going to rise, and the meteorologists say it’s the shape of things to come. When nature tells us that the world is changing, maybe we’d better believe it.

And what of the pandemic? Don’t you begin to sense that the ship of history is resetting its sails and steering a new course? My personal ship of history is nearing its destination, and if metempsychosis is truly a fact I suppose I must expect to wake into a different world. The young ones may have the turbulence.

No comments: