Wednesday 10 July 2024

I Wonder...

I wonder why certain flowers in the garden have bloomed more profusely than ever this year, while other plants have failed miserably.

I wonder why I’ve seen hardly any bees, butterflies, or house martins this year. By this time in July the garden is usually full of birds and butterflies, and the sky above used to be heavily populated by flocks of house martins hunting for airborne food. Where have they all gone?

I wonder why I haven't heard a single blackbird or robin sing so far this year. I still have plenty of both  birds gracing the garden, but not a single beautiful note from either. Allow me to reprise a little ditty I recorded quite a few years ago when their singing was a regular pleasure:
When I have given up the ghost
And gone to take my final rest
Please lay me where the robin sings
For robin's song is quite the best 

I wonder why I’m suddenly beset by existentialist uncertainty again. I can’t stop the flow of thought which tells me that the past no longer exists, and the future hasn’t arrived yet, and the unceasing flow of time precludes the existence of a moment. So how do I reconcile that with the perception that I – and everything else for that matter – exist. It would appear that there is some deficiency in either my perception or my logic. Of all the things I feel I need in the time that’s left to me, maybe the most pressing is the advice of a logician.

I wonder whether I’m the only person on the planet who doesn’t know what a podcast is.

No comments: