Tuesday 23 July 2024

A Bevy of Blackbirds.

My orbit has suddenly become inundated with female blackbirds – feeding on both bird tables and often watching me through the window, sitting on the lawn when I have reason to go down the garden, standing at the edge of the lane when I go for a walk and waiting for me to get very close before flying away… And yet nearly all the other garden birds have virtually disappeared (just as the butterflies and bees have virtually disappeared.) My world is replete with female blackbirds and very little else. And I ask again: why have the blackbirds not been singing this year?

Are we into omen territory here? Does the preponderance of female blackbirds denote something of substantial import? Maybe I should look it up (or maybe I shouldn’t because sometimes they’re right and that can be stressful.)

You know, I sometimes have the impression that birds are constantly bringing me messages from the universe (there are those who claim it to be a natural function of the universe’s patterns.) If that is the case, the local avians must be getting pretty frustrated with me because I never know what they mean. I don’t speak the language, you see. I’m not yet attuned to that sort of thing. But maybe there’s only one message I should be taking:

When you’ve shuffled off your current mortal coil and returned with a new one, be a shaman. You’ll learn a lot.

(Oh well, there go my hopes of being a deep space astronaut hopping onto the asteroid belt singing Benson, Arizona.)

No comments: