Tuesday 15 August 2023

JJ Oddnesses.

On a clear night I can see the waxing moon through my bathroom window at about the time I go to bed. I’ve decided I don’t like it. Be it crescent or gibbous, it looks deflated, disheartened, depressed, defeated. And when it’s that curious dull yellow colour as it sometimes is, it looks ill as well.

That’s one oddness.

I was going to make a detailed post about all the things which scared me witless as a child, but I think I did that some years ago so I’ll merely append a brief list as a reminder:

Lions, even stone ones standing on the porticos of pubs called The Red Lion.
Walking under railway bridges because I feared that a train passing over the top might cause a collapse and I would be crushed or trapped underneath.
Persistent loud noises like long rumbles of thunder building to a crescendo. (Oddly enough, I wasn’t bothered about short loud noises. I even used to play the game of lighting a banger (firework) and then throwing it away just before it exploded.)
Going to bed when it was dark outside because I knew that ghosts were more likely to appear when it was dark.
Crawling head-first down through my bed in an attempt to exit from the bottom end. I tried it several times but always succumbed to such uncontrollable panic that I never succeeded.

Possible Reasons for Said Fears

Having a deep-rooted memory of unpleasant incidents in past lives
Being unusually aware of consequences and alternate realities
Being an unmitigated wimp

But that was a long time ago. Now that I’m a big boy and all grown up, I’m subjected to quite different terrors. They include being charged by a hungry brown bear, being told that if my life is to continue flawlessly I must download the app or go to wwwdot, and being trapped into having to engage in conversations with normal people.

No comments: