Sunday 8 January 2023

Loathing the Preacher Man.

I’ve now reached the last few episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the final season has been desperately dark.

Buffy’s current antagonist is not a vampire, a demon, or some other supernatural denizen of the pit, but he is the worst kind of devil incarnate so far encountered. He’s a smartly dressed and not unattractive man wearing a dog collar and speaking with a Deep South accent, and he’s very nasty. So nasty, in fact, that his presence disturbs me more than I would have thought possible.

So why should I be so deeply disturbed by a mere fiction? The image, that’s why. It left me with a sense that of all the nastiest and most dangerous creatures on earth, a smartly dressed man wearing a dog collar and speaking with a Deep South accent is among the most frightful of all.

No comments: