Monday 30 January 2023

Just Wondering As Usual.

I was thinking tonight about an interesting little facet of human nature – how much it pleases us when somebody for whom we hold affectionate feelings gives us an indication that they’re thinking about us. (Like visiting our blog, for example, or saying ‘I was thinking about you only yesterday’ if we happen to bump into them by chance.)

Is it because we have an instinctive sense that thought is energy and therefore establishes a connection, or simply because having somebody think about us makes us feel that we matter? That’s something else I don’t know. (But maybe it’s both, and maybe it depends on the nature of the person being thought about.)

*  *  *

I was going to make quite a long post about why I’m so moved by the scene in the film Kirschblüten in which Rudi dances with his dead wife against the backdrop of Mount Fuji. I didn’t because I felt that there’s already been more than enough of my self-conscious rambling on the matter of relationships lately. I expect I’ll get back to it soon enough.

No comments: