Saturday 12 February 2022

A Note on the Heart Thing.

Anais Nin said something like: ‘Age cannot protect you from love, but love can, to some extent, protect you from age.’ I think I know what she meant, but I still have that lifelong problem of not being exactly sure what ‘love’ means. So let me substitute ‘matters of the heart’ (which covers a multitude of sins, sorrows, silliness and sundry sensibilities) and say something of my own on the subject.

Beware the pre-emptive strike. It’s a favourite weapon of the emotionally insecure (and I should know because I’ve used it a lot.) It has a habit of blowing back and forcing you to eat slugs, as those familiar with the Harry Potter film franchise might remember. I recall saying something similar in a blog post a very long time ago (a year is a long time in the blogosphere) so let me make it clearer:

If you choose to push somebody away, it helps to be certain that you can handle the emotional earthquake when they leave willingly and shut the door behind them. And this isn’t meant to refer to any person in particular, just in case anybody is wondering. I was reminded of it by a scene in the animated version of The Last Airbender. I’m watching it again because I’m bored, because I can, because I’m growing old, and because I like the characters (especially Toph and Uncle Iroh.)

No comments: