Wednesday 14 August 2019

The Potter Problem.

I have a problem with the world of Harry Potter. It goes like this:

In Goblet of Fire, the mandarins of Hogwarts School send people off to Romania – or wherever it was – to capture some innocent dragons who just want to go about their lives in peace, bring them back in cages and chains to an alien environment, and then pit them against their will against a bunch of egotistical wizards all trying to prove how superior they are by killing them.

At least we British muggles have banned bear baiting, badger baiting, dog fighting, cock fighting, fox hunting and hare coursing, and I can’t help feeling it’s time for these magic people who think they’re so bloody clever to be brought to heel. Maybe it’s time for a protest movement to spring up. Let’s call it MADE – Muggles Against Dragon Exploitation.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Hmm... I never could find it in me to really enjoy Harry Potter, though not for lack of trying. Maybe it was the cruelty to magical creatures.

JJ said...

I never read any of the books, but admit to being a fan of the movies – probably because I’ve never lost my childhood fascination with magic. I did have issues with them, though, and was probably an untypical sort of fan. For example, when the trio escaped from the bowels of Gringotts by releasing the ‘guard dog’ dragon and riding out on its back, my first response was to be glad that the poor dragon had got its freedom at last. And I liked Hagrid, but was uneasy that he was Hogwart’s gamekeeper. I don’t much like the principle of game creatures.

And this post is actually copied from a comment I put on a YouTube Harry Potter compilation video. I was growing tired of the mostly vacuous and obsequious twittering I found there, and thought I’d play the rebel and see whether I got yelled at.

Sara said...

And did you? Get yelled at, I mean. The YouTube comments section is home to the absolute dregs of planet Earth.

JJ said...

No yelling so far, but I suspect nobody has yet gone beyond the second line. I find that YouTube commenters generally fall into one of three categories:

The alt-right hate merchants who want to conveniently dispose of all black, brown and Jewish people, thus re-establishing Aryan supremacy and making the white man great again.

Those who have difficulty with constructive thought and rarely manage more than ‘Wow, this is awesome.’

Those who don’t fall into either category but still have trouble spelling words with more than two letters.

In actual fact, I have had the occasional friendly and rational conversation with the odd person on YouTube. There are always exceptions.