Saturday 31 August 2019

On Summer's End and the Metamorphosis.

So what do I have to say on this, the last day of summer? Summer officially ends tonight in Britain. The Met Office decrees it.

Well, I’d say that I haven’t really enjoyed this summer as much as I would like to have done. How much of this is imagination I don’t know, but it seemed that we had too many days when it rained, too many cold nights, and too much wind. And I couldn’t perambulate the lanes, footpaths and woods of the Shire because this vascular problem with my leg wouldn’t allow it. Summer used to be mostly about perambulation, to sink into a sense of nature and the elements and the landscape, but not this year. And what’s more, as we come to the end of it I don’t know who is still in my life and who isn’t.

Not that it matters much because I’m developing a new sense of self-perception. I’m starting to feel like one of those characters in sci-fi movies who’s been bitten by some strange animal or alien entity and is now morphing into something inhuman. Not necessarily sub- or superhuman, you understand, just inhuman.

Because I often consider the question of whether I feel superior or inferior to the run of humanity, and the answer is ‘sometimes one, sometimes the other, but ultimately neither.’ The simple fact is that I’ve never felt I belonged to the herd. No matter what situation I was in, I always felt apart from the rest. Sometimes it was a mere hand span of distance, and sometimes a country mile. And now when I look in the mirror I see a creature lifted straight from the X Files, and it all makes sense.

No comments: