Sunday 15 July 2018

False Mirrors.

I’ve been made aware lately of one of life's odd little phenomena. Whether it applies to everybody, or whether it’s a personal thing exclusive to my withered mind, I don’t know, but it’s this:

When somebody gets under your skin to the extent that they’re re-arranging your heart rhythms, you start seeing their image reflected in perfect strangers. You see people you’ve never seen before and become convinced that they look just like so-and-so, even though there is probably no real resemblance at all. And that’s when you’re forced to realise that the person you thought you’d excised and shut away in a locked drawer is actually still alive and kicking enthusiastically in your head.

This little light bulb moment came as a result of watching the movie Rabbit Proof Fence last night. Anybody familiar with that rather touching film will know what I mean when I say that it wasn’t Molly I was rooting for, but another person with the same build and the same eyes and the same expressions and the same walk and the same determination to beat the problem no matter what. Or so it seemed to me at the time.

No comments: