Wednesday 20 May 2015

Two Sides of Oddness.

I’m just beginning to make the connection between a recurring childhood nightmare and a current woe. Whether that nightmare gave rise to or was the expression of an unusual neurosis, I can’t tell; it’s too far back for the chronology to be known. In other words, I don’t know which came first.

What I do know is that the neurosis has been with me as far back as I can remember – mostly lying dormant, occasionally giving me an innocuous nudge, and then suddenly bursting forth to produce a mental response that is entirely disproportionate to the circumstances which opened the floodgates.

This is interesting. It is. Disturbing, but interesting.

The whole story is far too long and involved to tell here. Let’s just say that it seems to be centred on Charlotte Brontë’s most terrifying creation, Bertha Rochester, and the unfortunate circumstance of seeing a clip from a TV production of Jane Eyre as a young child. (It was also accidental; the babysitter let me stay up while she was watching the TV.)

The lesson, however, is simple enough. It is that what appears on the surface to have been a minor childhood fear can lie dormant in the sludge at the bottom of the mind, and then rise up to shake your nervous system to its roots many years later. And I wonder whether this is something that can happen to anybody, or whether it’s a condition to which we HSP types are exclusively prone. I wouldn’t know, but I could do with getting to the bottom of it.

And incidentally, I used the nightmare as the foundation for a story once. I thought it might be cathartic. Seems it wasn’t.

*  *  *

And while I’m on the subject of loopiness, I saw a delightful little dog in Ashbourne today. Its human kept tugging at the lead in an attempt to persuade it to walk alongside her, but every time she did the dog would roll onto its back and kick the air with its paws. A number of people stopped to watch this unusual behaviour, and several of them went over to pet the dog. This was clearly what the conniving little terrier wanted, because she became very excited and made a lot of friends. Meanwhile, the human maintained a tolerant smile and offered explanations, the gist of which was ‘My dog is loopy but lovable.’ I can relate to that.

No comments: