Wednesday 6 May 2015

In the Firing Line.

It seems to me that blogging is possibly the major cultural phenomenon of the 21st century. Where once the written word for public consumption was the preserve of authors and journalists, the blog format has become Everyman’s soap box. There are occasional news reports which refer to somebody as ‘…a blogger from…’ as though blogging is now regarded as a serious vocation, rather than a mere hobby.

It’s achieved a surprising level of gravitas in a short space of time. In some parts of the world bloggers have been imprisoned and even murdered for what they’ve written. There were two killed in Bangladesh recently. I sometimes wonder whether I should restrict myself to innocent ditties and literary silliness.

So far I seem to have escaped Mr Cameron’s notice, although that might prove to be a dangerous illusion come Friday. If David has to vacate No. 10, as I sincerely hope he does, I might just wake up to a warning. On which note, what does one do with a horse’s head?

No comments: