Wednesday 8 April 2015

Struggling.

I started watching a documentary on Jihadist brides tonight, but turned it off after about fifteen minutes. By that time I was becoming uneasy because I realised that it was built on the presumption that all those watching it subscribed to the view that western cultural axioms are pre-eminent by definition. Although I generally subscribe to western cultural axioms because it makes life easier, I don’t regard them as being pre-eminent by definition. Furthermore, I don’t trust the western media any more than I trust anything else. Ergo, I wasn’t going to learn anything so why bother watching?

I decided to make a post about it, mostly along the lines of that old favourite, ‘the hum of Mother Culture.’ I was going to quote the family lawyer who lamented that one girl had received ‘the best education that money can buy,’ as though that made a difference. I was going to cite an example of conflicting assertions and ask ‘how do we know which one to believe?’

And so I thought and thought and thought about it. And the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it would mean walking down a lot of dark and grimy little alleyways where even Jack the Ripper would fear to tread. I also realised that I might possibly offend some people who don’t deserve to be offended. And so I decided against it.

Instead, I tried to think of something funny that happened in Ashbourne today, but nothing did. Not unless you count the young Polish woman who looked at me like I was a complete idiot. I was tempted to ask: ‘Are all young Polish women so perceptive?’ Would that be funny enough?

No comments: