Thursday 19 October 2023

Rising a Little and Rueing the Rice.

I confess to occasionally watching those heart-warming videos on YouTube in which people perform kind, selfless, altruistic actions to help other humans or animals in distress. And I’ve noticed that the comment section is always liberally scattered with entries in which people say, in one form or another: ‘This restores my faith in human nature.’ It doesn’t restore mine, I regret to say, and here’s why: It isn’t the kind, selfless, altruistic people who are running the world and ordering the course of events, is it? It’s the other lot. That’s why Jacinda Arden was such a rarity.

*  *  *

I just ate a portion of cold rice from the fridge, a leftover from dinner two nights ago. I intended to have it with my lunch today but forgot, and I do so hate anything going to waste so I had it with my late evening coffee. The two didn’t match at all. Lesson learned.

*  *  *

Does this inconsequential little post indicate that the restrained release of steam in the last one had the desired effect of lifting the gloom slightly? We’ll see.

No comments: