Sunday 14 November 2021

A Worrying Encounter.

I went for my Covid booster jab today. I arrived ten minutes before my appointment time only to find that the system had been changed and appointment times counted for nothing. The venue had become a walk-in centre and it was a case of first come, first served. In consequence, I was kept hanging around in a room full of people for an hour and twenty minutes.

That was irritating, but what bothered me more was the old lady sitting on a chair when I went into the hall where the jabbing was taking place. She offered me her seat.

Why would an old lady offer me her seat? Did I look as though I needed one? I’m fairly sure that I didn’t and so I politely declined. But then she moved to another seat on the further side of the room and I noticed that she was looking at me. When I returned her stare, she offered me her seat again.

She didn’t look mad or anything. She wasn’t dishevelled, she didn’t have long black hair covering half her face with only one eye showing, and she wasn’t wearing a long white nightdress. She looked perfectly smart and presentable.

At first I thought it nothing more than today’s little oddness. Lots of days have one or more little oddnesses about them. But then I had another thought: Suppose she was gifted with some form of second sight. Could she, perhaps, see the Grim holding station close to my leg and following my every movement? Might she have X-Ray vision and be cognisant of some internal feature of which I’m currently unaware?

That’s what’s bothering me because such things do, especially when I'm awaiting the results of two medical investigative procedures.

No comments: