Saturday 9 December 2023

The Musical Mystery and My Mental Faculty.

I’m curious to know why I’ve suddenly developed the habit of tapping out the first few bars of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy with my feet while I’m sitting at the computer. Where did it come from? I haven’t heard the piece and I have no regard for it, so what deficient or diseased part of my mental faculty gave rise to the habit?

The fact is that I’m used to most of the deficient or diseased corners of my mental faculty, and generally quite accepting of them. But not where music is concerned. Music is very important to me and has to suit. Tchaikovsky doesn’t; I find it all rather too sugary. (Except the 6th Symphony known as the Pathetique. I gather he was very unhappy when he wrote that, and I suppose the fact that it’s the only work I can tolerate must say something about the deficient or diseased corner of my mental faculty.)

No comments: