Sunday 30 April 2023

Crying God for Charles.

I just read an article on the BBC News website about next Saturday’s coronation service for King Charles III. It says that this one will be different than previous ones in several ways, one of which is that the public will be invited to play their part. The Archbishop of Canterbury will ask ‘millions around the world’ to ‘cry out’ when prompted:

I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.

And then the Archbishop of Canterbury will continue with ‘God save the King’, at which point all we faithful millions of minions should cry out again:

God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever.

Having sat here in awe at the sheer absurdity contained within this prospect, I finally came to a conclusion. The only way I can believe this is happening is to accept once and for all that parallel universes really do exist, and I’ve just slipped into the Monty Python version.

No comments: