Friday 26 October 2018

As Promised...

I said in my last post that I’d make the effort to reprise the blog if no damning letter arrived in the post. No such letter having yet been received, I suppose I ought to keep my promise. (Keeping promises happens to be important to me.) So here are a few notes for now:

1. I re-acquainted myself with the wood at the top of the lane a couple of days ago. (It’s where somebody I held in high regard once did her best Hermione Granger ‘boys are useless’ impersonation.) I’d forgotten what a sense of magic hangs in the air there. An imaginative person might be excused for expecting to see the flash of a unicorn’s horn or hear the hoof beats of a centaur, and I’m an imaginative person. I’ve taken to calling it ‘the Harry Potter wood’, and it’s currently the place where I’d most like to die.

2. Chronic back pain is very good at dampening the spirits.

3. I find myself irretrievably drawn to young mothers with their first baby these days. There’s something so very appealing and life-affirming about them.

4. Five favourite quotations from Harry Potter movies:

Severus Snape:

That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?

Dumbledore:

Of course it’s all inside your head, Harry. Why should that make it any less real?

Moaning Myrtle:

Oh, Harry: if you should die down there, you’re welcome to share my toilet.

Hermione Granger:

Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon…

Luna Lovegood:

Oh, I’ve interrupted a deep thought, haven’t I? I can see it growing smaller in your eyes.

5. It disturbs me that I share a lot of characteristics with Ron Weasley. That really does disturb me.

6. I’ve no idea if and when I’ll make another post. The chronic back pain is depressing my spirits (not to mention the multiple computer problems, the insufferable incompetence of the corporate world, or the constant wondering whether I still have a life to get through.)

I’m off to bed now, hoping that the back pain doesn’t keep me awake or the nightmares keep waking me up. The nightmares are full of vague images that I try to work out in the unwholesome darkness of the early hours while trying to get back to sleep through the back pain.

No comments: