Monday 4 June 2018

Imagining Deliverance.

I was sitting, quietly eating my sandwich, in Uttoxeter high street today when a tall, swarthy, powerfully built young man stopped and looked at me. It struck me that there was something odd about his appearance and demeanour, although I couldn’t work out exactly what it was. And then he said something to me, or it would be more accurate to say that he grunted something in my direction because I haven’t a clue what it was. I chose to ignore him and he walked away.

Later that afternoon I was sitting elsewhere in the town having a mid-term cigarette and watching the people walk by. I was struck by how odd so many of them looked and decided that Uttoxeter is probably not the safest place to go for a white water canoeing holiday.

And then I wondered what they thought of me.

No comments: