Tuesday 16 September 2014

More Inconsequential Rambles.

I sometimes wish I could see people in terms of their needs rather than mine, but it’s bloody difficult. At times, it’s damn near impossible.

*  *  *

Do you know what I like about America? I like it when American women pronounce ‘fall’ as ‘farl.’ ‘Noo England in the Farl.’ And then there’s ‘ball.’ ‘Where’s the barl, where’s the barl? Yeah! Good boy!’ Cute (or sweet, if you prefer.) I expect it comes from Suffolk or somewhere originally.

*  *  *

And I’m betting the Scots are going to vote ‘no’ in the referendum on independence. I think it might be just a step too far when it comes down to a final vote. Let’s see whether I’m right. There’s currently a debate raging over whether the English should have been included in the voting process. No, of course we shouldn’t. The United Kingdom isn’t a single country, it’s a union of two kingdoms, one principality and a province. If the Scots want to be independent, only they have the right to decide. Let’s suppose the English, who are much more numerous, voted down a Scottish majority in favour. That would surely amount to a return to imperialism, wouldn’t it? Nevertheless, I do hope they choose to stay with us. And I expect Sean Connery (who is very much a ‘yes’ man) will remain in the Bahamas no matter what the result.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I've never heard that accent before.

JJ said...

I expect it only sounds like farl to an English ear.