Friday 18 July 2014

Waiting for Number 3.

For most of the day I’ve been feeling that I should make a post about the terrible airliner crash in Ukraine. What is there to say, though, apart from the fact that it was pretty shocking?

I wonder whether we will ever get to find who or what was responsible. It’s easy to speculate that it was a case of mistaken identity on the part of some amateur with his untrained finger on the launch button of an air-to-ground missile, but judgement must be reserved.

It does occur to me, however, that there might be a lot of people with Malaysia Airlines tickets out there who are currently muttering ‘Oh my God! Things always happen in threes.’ I don’t think they need worry. I was brought up to believe in that old superstition and I’ve been seeking evidence for it all my life. So far, there has been none. It’s been my experience that in the scheme of repeating forms, the number 3 occurs no more frequently than any other number.

No comments: