Friday 4 April 2014

Judging Songs and Responses.

I like Fleetwood Mac, have done for a long time. They’ve featured on this blog before and I’ve posted a few favourite tracks of theirs. But I currently have their celebrated album Rumours playing in the car, and there’s one track on it that almost makes me a danger to other road users. It’s that bad. Really. It’s Christine McVie’s Oh, Daddy.

Daddy? Alarm bells? Here’s the chorus:

Why are you right when I’m so wrong?
I’m so weak but you’re so strong
(Ever so strong)

That’s the point at which I’m squirming in my seat and looking for something to use as a sick bag. Did poor Emily Davison really die in vain?

Fortunately, it’s followed by the Stevie Nicks classic Gold Dust Woman, the chorus of which runs:

Well did she make you cry
Make you break down
Shatter your illusions of love

Is it over now
Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home

There, now; that’s better. That’s much more the kind of life experience I’m familiar with.

And while I’m on the subject of songs and responses to them, I was just listening to Eva Cassidy’s utterly superior version of Over the Rainbow on YouTube, and one of the comments says:

There’s no description for that voice except GREAT!

Oh yes there is: OMG! AWESOME! Are you getting this?

No comments: