Saturday 10 August 2013

Whiskey in the Jar.

The title says it all. As Fridays go, today hasn’t been one of the better ones.

And here’s one of the many definitive versions of the song. Judging by the acrimonious comments on YouTube, it seems that all versions are definitive to somebody.

  
The face staring out of the screen at you is the incomparable Luke Kelly. It’s a face you’d follow into battle, right? It reminds me of a friend I had in my teens called Mickey McDonnell. Oddly enough, he followed me into battle on one occasion. Or I suppose it would be more accurate to say that he accompanied me. There was no blood spilt on that occasion, though, because the enemy failed to turn up, even though they’d thrown down the gauntlet. Life can be a fickle lady at times.

The chorus which runs ‘Musha ring um a do um a da’ is said to be a phonetic approximation of the Gaelic for ‘Whiskey made me the fool.’ Maybe that’s where I went wrong in life: my drink is whisky. Not quite the same thing.

Luke Kelly also sings (in my opinion) the definitive version of Raglan Road. Ah, the memories…

No comments: