Thursday 2 May 2013

Some Seeds Which Didn't Germinate.

I’ve been trying to think of a late night post to make. I like making late night posts; they vindicate my lack of sleepiness in the early hours, and are often incomprehensible. Unfortunately, all the seeds fell on stony ground.

I thought of making a post about plans the present government have for re-invigorating Thatcherism, but it was turning into an essay on how the disadvantaged underclass which she created might well become dangerous, and I’m not in the best of moods as it is.

I thought of making a post about Other Interesting Things that Happened in Ashbourne Today, but all I could think of was the fact that the nice lady in Sainsbury’s refunded my £2 parking fee from when I popped in there on Monday – and that isn’t very interesting, is it?

I thought of making a post about why I played rugby for twenty years, but the question of motivation reared its head and I decided not to risk it.

I thought of making a post about the irritating alternative fictions which people create in LOTR compilations on YouTube, but I can’t be sure they’re fictions. They might be in the extended version, and then I’d be showing my ignorance.

So I’m going to drink my pint of Kentish ale and listen to some music instead. I’m not finding the Kentish ale quite as palatable as the Westmoreland ale I had a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that’s because Westmoreland doesn’t exist any more, but the place where it used to be is one of my favourites. I’m wholly unfamiliar with Kent. I got taken to Bromley quite a lot when I was a kid, but that’s more London than Kent. Having tried the beer, I don’t think I’ll bother now.

Oh, I know what I can mention. It’s the Local Government elections tomorrow, so I’ll be off to the village hall to cast my protest vote. I thought of voting UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party.) Not because I have the any time for the silly buggers, you understand, but because they and the Tories aren’t best mates at the moment. But I couldn’t bring myself to stoop that low, so I’ll be voting Green instead. If there isn’t a Green candidate, I’ll be writing ‘None of the above’ on the ballot paper. That’ll teach ’em, won’t it?

No comments: