Tuesday 16 October 2012

Just Wondering.

Mala Yusufzai, the Pakistani girl who was shot by the Taliban and is now being treated in a London hospital, continues to feature prominently in the news bulletins.

I’m on record as saying how much I respect her as an exemplar of courage and self-sacrifice. She represents just about the best the human animal can manage. As such, I’m so very glad that we’re using the best resources we have to give her every chance of making a full recovery. I couldn’t be more enthusiastic about wanting her to make it through. She’s a true hero in my eyes. And yet I have to wonder.

There must be thousands of people, young and old, who are suffering and dying around the world at the hands of perverted logic and narrow doctrinal diktats. We never even hear about most of them, so why are we paying this much attention to just one girl, however deserving of that attention she undoubtedly is? Could it be because she’s a tremendous propaganda coup for British and American foreign policy?

I have to wonder.

No comments: