Monday 16 July 2012

Variations on Honesty.

It surprises me that radio shows still have request slots.

‘Hello, my name’s Jill and I’m from Inverness. I’d love to hear Nimrod from Elgar’s Enigma Variations.

Why can’t they be honest and say ‘I can get pretty much anything I want from YouTube these days, but I wanted to hear myself speak on national radio. So play whatever you like.’

*  *  *

On an unrelated note, it disturbs me that people feel the need to take whatever job they can get, even to the point of associating themselves with ethically dubious principles and practices, just to pay the bills. You can’t blame them, of course; it’s the system. It isn’t so different from the fact that young women from the poor end of Victorian society had to patrol the dark streets tapping rich men on the shoulder, just to survive.

No comments: