Thursday 24 May 2012

Something Missing.

I walked along Church Lane this evening and looked across the fields to M’Lady’s house. A sense of something missing was well apparent, and I couldn’t even lean on my usual farm gate because the farmer had taken it off for the tractors to enter. It’s silage cutting time, you see. And I thought:

What use is Lady Bella’s house
If Bella isn’t there?

An empty fireside seat
An empty tread upon the stair
And just a fond remembrance
Of a girl with raven hair

What use is Lady Bella’s house
If Bella isn’t there?

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I am afraid I have Hobbits on the brain! Her I see Samwise Gamgee musing on the absence of Rosie Cotton.
Or is it the other Lady Bella, that darkly intoxicating plant, that you have hidden in your herbaceous border perhaps? There would be an empty tread upon the stair for whoever dallied a while with her!

JJ said...

Do you mean belladona? Is that the one that looks like cow parsley? If it is, there's probably some in the fairy kingdom at the bottom of the garden.