Monday 15 August 2011

Persistence of Sound.

This is a phenomenon that’s always interested me – the fact that you can get a piece of music stuck in your head, and you just can’t get rid of it. Every time your focus on something fades, back comes the music. I’ve known it go on like that for several days sometimes.

Today’s offering is Michael Nyman’s The Sacrifice. It’s on somebody’s playlist and I heard it a couple of days ago, yet it waited until today to ingratiate its persistent presence into every unfocussed moment. Fortunately, this piece is pleasant, poignant and has deep personal meaning, but usually it’s some awful bit of commercial crap that I don’t even like.

2 comments:

Nuutj said...

I got the similar symptom. I can't stop humming piano tunes I'm learning. It's even wordless.

JJ said...

I think we're all prey to it, Mei-shan. It gets bad when the music is bad.